Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Universe Has a Sense of Humor

So yesterday, after spouting off about how old I was feeling and wondering if I had accomplished all that much in my life, I dragged my tired carcass home. Once there, I checked my email, and lo and behold, found out that yet another friend from years of old not only has continued her successful career, but has also recently given birth to a very healthy and happy baby girl. Mother and baby are doing very well, and dad looks as proud as can be.

Later that night, right before bed, I received a totally unexpected email from a friend of mine who until recently was stationed in Japan with the Navy. He and I were inseperable in high school and college, but lost touch as the years went on and he joined the service and travelled the world. He's back in the states, and may visit us in the future.

There were also emails from my old fencing coach, and another friend who had a child recently. Just seems to be one of those times when everyone crawls out of the woodwork. Not that I mind, of course; I'm overjoyed to hear from old friends who have gone missing over the years. It's just weird that they've all come back into the world over the course of a few days. Some wrote because I first sent out emails, of course, but some, including my high school friend, sent their emails totally unexpectedly.

Guess what the universe is saying through these little random notes of kindness, is that even though I'm getting older and - on some days - feeling it, it's not something that I need to do alone. And for that, I'm grateful.

Now the presentation that I have to do tomorrow - and am not yet prepared for, that is something for which I am certainly not grateful!

No comments: