Thursday, March 20, 2008

If Spring is Here . . .

. . . then why do I feel as if I've been plowed under?

Seriously, it's only 10 and I am already at the point of calling it a day. The day began with me trying a shortcut that resulted in my bcoming lost in the wilds of Murfreesboro, TN and arriving at work 45 minutes late. I've been trying to make up time ever since. The good news is that a meeting that I've been dreading was cancelled at the last minute, so I don't have to contemplate committing seppuku (yeah, I'm a sucker for the dramatic!) in order to escape the misery.

Yesterday was completely bizarre in the workplace. As usual, I went to Nashville to present a case study. That part went well. For some reason, though, two of the five chaplains who show up at this thing seem to have gone around the bend. I can't go into too much details, due to the whole blog / job thing. Suffice to say that one has entered into an inappropriate relationship with a patient, and the other started behaving extremely erratically during my presentation. Now, if you think things are going so badly that you need to pray, that's one thing. But if you're praying in such a way that it creates more distraction, rooting around in your bag for prayer beads and passing prayer and visit requests to other chaplains, then you need to be stopped. Yeah, it was bad. One of those kinds of bad that was so bad that I ended up wondering if I was the crazy one. Fortunately, one of the experts spoke to that chaplain, assuring me that I am, at least for the moment, still sane.

I'm up to my eyeballs in paperwork, so I'm feeling some stress. They've finally decided that there will be 3 full time positions opening up, so that means that I need to get all my paperwork done. Ugh. They even want transcripts of my college and grad work! The only upside to this is that if I do get hired, it's virtually a lifelong position - once you're in the system, you're set. So I guess I'm going to just do the work, as mind numbing and frustrating as it seems. Honestly, I have never seen an application process like this, and pray I never do again!

Oh, and as an aside, the next person to ask me about Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and my opinion of his sermon comments as a fellow clergy member in the UCC, will be drawn, quartered and served up in a Lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle paté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam!* Yes, I'm that tired of hearing about it!

I don't care if you want to talk about it. No, you can't! : )

Okay, off to teach my Thursday morning class. Grumble, grumble.

*All gratitude and "we're not worthy" bows to Monty Python for their Spam sketch!

No comments: