Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More Religious News

As you have no doubt deduced from previous posts, I am not a member of the Catholic church (although I did cause quite a bit of double takes at my 10th high school reunion by showing up in a clerical collar with my then fiance - now wife - as my date). Nope, I'm protestant, but since I work as a chaplain (I'll get more into that and the whole pirate thing later on) there's always room for plenty of confusion. Patients ask me to hear their confessions, give them communion, and so forth, often either thinking me to be Catholic then not caring when I tell them that I'm not, or not caring that they are Catholic. For the record, there are rules in the Catholic church as to who is allowed to do what and what is Verboten, shall we say.

All of that to say that I thought it very interesting, and ironically progressive, of the Catholic church to come out with a new list of the 7 Deadly Sins. Apparently, despite wanting to turn the clock back to Pre-Vatican II status, the powers that be decided that we needed a far less individualistic and a far more global way of looking at sin and its impact on humanity. Very interesting!

Here's the article, and the new list.

No comments: