Monday, March 17, 2008

Ireland and Pirates!

In an effort to keep my mind off my work (hey, it's Monday, after all, and my boss isn't here!) and my malaise, I decided to take an early lunch break and start a small bit of research. So, in honor of St. Patrick's Day and all things Irish, I give you the story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate Queen!

I was somewhat disappointed to see that not much has been written about Pirates who operated out of Ireland. As wild as that nation's history has been through the years, I thought that someone must have done some research. It's common knowledge that raiders did operate out of Ireland, attacking settlements in England and Scotland from time to time, just as the Vikings, Saxons, and Normans did over the course of the centuries. But when I did a search this morning, only one name came up . . . Grace O'Malley. I have to say, though, that I was surprised as all get out. One, that a woman held such a powerful role in what seems to be an anarchic society during that time periond. Two, that she continued her warrior ways for so long. Grace (her name is really a bit of irony, all things considered) seems to be a historical Xena: Warrior Princess!

She was married to a shipping business magnate, but soon took over the work for him. When her ships were banned from docking in certain ports due to clan politics, she would harrass the shipping lanes, demanding payment for safe passage. If they refused, she'd reduce them to scraps, taking everything of value for her people's own gain. When her husband died during a conflict with Clan Joyce, she rallied his fallen troops and took their island and castle by force. When the British came to try and force her out and restore the rightful owners, she fought them off and established a base of operations out of that same castle, keeping a watch over all shipping that came in and out of that important pass.

Her life reads like an adventure novel, better than either of the last two Pirates of the Carribean movies I've seen. Let me tell you, Jack Sparrow can't hold a candle to what Grace pulled off in her lifetime! So if you're in the mood for a bit of escape today during a work break. check out the links below.

For there's plenty more about Grace O'Malley here and here.

No comments: