Thursday, March 13, 2008

Aye, But Rum is Still Me Favorite . . .

Didn't think I'd see this in my lifetime. Back when I was going through college, and a little in grad school, I found myself gravitating towards the gothic movement. I didn't dress goth, mind you, and even if I had I would have been considered a "geriatric goth" anyway! But still, being that I was chronically depressed (long story), prone to thinking dark thoughts about the meaninglessness of life, and spending hours on end listening to The Cure, Nine Inch Nails (not really goth, I know, but give me some leeway!), Siouxie and the Banshees, et. al., I considered myself a kindred spirit to the all black wearing, wannabe vampire types - noting, of course, that the women could always pull off that look so much better than the guys! Must be a fashion thing.

Anyway, all of that to say that I became interesting in the alluring myth of Absinthe. The forbidden liquid, outlawed all over the civilized world, was so popular during the 19th century and early 20th century for its association with generally depressed, creative types for its rumored hallucinogenic properties. Even Earnest Hemingway had a drink that he created using Absinthe called - get this - "Death in the Afternoon." Can you get any more goth than that?

Well, now it appears that Absinthe is now available again. Now that I'm no longer depressed (most of the time), no longer kin to the goth movement (still love The Cure, though I think that Robert Smith looks rediculous still dressing the same way all these years later!), and certainly far less creative than I thought I was way back in the day. I may grab a bottle, though, if I ever see it at the local liquor store. Who knows what the green fairy has in store for me! ; )

No comments: