Monday, March 24, 2008

Now If I Could Only Get Barney to Do This!

I just caught this on the CNN website. Apparently a Buddhist monk in Japan has taughte his 1 1/2 year-old Chihuahua to assume proper postures before the altar and join in the daily prayers. Apparently the dog is tired of being a dog and hoping for a reincarnation into a higher life form!




















Here is the link to the full article:
Zen (dog) master: A new take on prayer position

I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous. I can't get Barney to do much in the way of behavior training, even though I had - when we first adopted him - had dreams of using him as a therapy dog for my patients. He's a good dog, don't get me wrong, but prone to jumping up on people and acting like he's a much smaller, far more neurotic dog. Plus he's rather dense. To get him to stop barking the other night, I lightly popped him on the rear whenever he howled at One Ring's brother's dog. Barney wanted the dog to play with him, but she was having none of it. Anyway, he kept barking and I kept spanking. Eight times this went on in rapid succession - bark, pop; bark, pop; bark, pop! - before he finally got the clue that he needed to stop. I absolutely love him, but it's clear that our four legged son is not a candidate for Mensa!

No comments: