Thursday, March 27, 2008

And Then There Were . . . 300?

So the war goes on. As of 8:30 this morning, we were winning. My boss sent signals to the fleet that our applications would indeed be received with joy and anticipation, and that we would be considered for the positions without any kind of negativity that one would expect from someone's whose ships have been sunk. Yeah, right, and if you buy that, then I've got a ship for sail that can get you from Tennessee to the Caribbean!

So now I'm back on track getting my application done, paperwork submitted, approval from high mucky-mucks worked on and various awards, certificates, and articles gathered. The thing is that once again the number of positions has changed. We're at 2. Yep, that's right. We've gone from 4 to 2, with a 3rd opening around June. Insert primal scream here.

Plus, now that our applications will be accepted, we are entering into competition with not a few, but over 300 other applicants whose paperwork has been gathering dust since January and before. At least two of those are friends of mine, which causes me to feel very uncomfortable about this whole process. It turns out, my boss tells me, that no other discipline at the VA works this way. Just us. It's insane.

But I do have some good news. I'm back in my office until next week. So until Wednesday or so, I will be able to do my work more efficiently than if I had to borrow space and equipment from other chaplains. After next week, though, I have no idea where I'm going or what's going to happen.

Hope your day is going well. I think this is what chaplaincy is going to look like around here! : )


And while we're on the topic, is it just me or is there a smiley face formed out of the blood splatter underneath the "300" logo? Seems kinda silly, if you ask me!)

No comments: