Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Job Drama Continues

Or:





















Okay, so here's the latest on the current battle. After I signaled my boss yesterday and told him that I was demasted and blown off course by the powers that be in Head Chaplain Land, he went to the HR department and started a day long engagement that involved broadsides from both sides. As night fell and offices closed, neither side had the advantage. We sailed off to a sheltered cove to mend our wounds and repair the sails.

This morning, during a meeting o' the captains / chaplains, we were told that the battle would continue. Amid much "Huzzahs!" and "Send 'em to the Locker!" our brave leader shouted from the fo'c's'le that we would not back down, nor would we take prisoners. "There would be another engagement this afternoon," he said, stroking his beard and glaring out of his one good eye. "Expect blood to flow!"

And then we talked about chaplain stuff. We're not all pirates, after all!

Whirling Dervish (otherwise known as "my colleague" who has up to now been without a proper blog name) and I walked back away from today's meetings wondering what the future would hold. While I am locked in (I hope) for yet another residency at the hospital (making this my third - I have never heard of anyone with 3 residencies in chaplaincy! Most go on to get real jobs. Not me, apparently), Whirling Dervish missed a deadline when the boss was out sick. So now we're hoping that he can find good work. There's just not a lot of it out here. The only reason the VA can hire more chaplains is because of the Iraq and Afghan wars. Sad, really.

In other work related news, I am now sans office, which means that daytime posts will be reduced. One department - the substance abuse program - said they no longer had room for me, although they want me to keep working with them, and that I needed to move over the chaplain offices. The chaplain offices have zilch in the way of additional office space, too. So for now I'm adrift at sea in a dinghy!

At least the construction guys got the paint off my car. The power washer also stripped the Hyundai sticker off the trunk (shows how cheap my car is - it doesn't have an emblem, it has a sticker!), but that's okay. I'm just hoping that tomorrow is a better day than yesterday.

Peace.

No comments: