Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Literary Moment

I know this has already made the rounds, but I thought I'd post something about it anyway. Arthur C. Clarke died Tuesday in Sri Lanka, where he spent the last 50 years of his life. While good science fiction is out there, I don't think we'll ever see anyone who could envision a possible future like Clarke. Here's NPR's write up on his death and an audio interview with his agent and friend:

'Space Odyssey' Author Clarke Dies at 90


Meanwhile, a few days ago I alluded to a special day occuring on the 15th of March. Well, bonus points to you if you were able to guess that it was the death date of H.P. Lovecraft, noted pulp author, creator of the Cthulhu "mythos" (although it's a stretch to call it a mythos, really it was his friends and those who came after him who fleshed out the characters who all had near unpronouncable names!) and perhaps the father of modern horror fiction.

So let's tip a glass to Lovecraft, dead these 51 years but still keeping me up at nights!

Okay, back to work. Just got out of a meeting with my boss. Suffice to say that my life has become much more stressful.

Peace.

No comments: