Monday, April 21, 2008

Spending a Morning Avoiding Work

At least, that's what I've been trying to do. I have paperwork left over from last week - chart notes and the like - but I'm on a particularly anti-bureaucracy bent today, and am simply not in the mood to play around with that. Also, we're coming up on the lunch hour, so I can honestly put it off for another little bit. Or the rest of the day. Whatever.

So here's what happened this weekend:

One Ring has been slaving away at her last paper for the semester, and I've been doing my best to lay low (or is it "lie low"? Never could get that figured out). On Saturday I went to see The Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Lots of fun. Some of the stuff in it was pretty cliche (such as the bullied white kid who learns kung fu and then whoop up on his tormentors), but the fight choreography and dialogue more than made up for that. The movie is (very loosely) based on Journey to the West, an old Chinese tale about The Monkey King. It would take way too much time to explain here, so better to simply go see the film. Or not, if you're not into kung fu flicks.

Sunday we skipped church, dubbing it as "Secular Humanist Sunday." Upon One Ring's suggestion, we walked two miles at the local state park (before breakfast!), then went out to eat before finishing up some errands. Then it was back to the house and One Ring's paper.

Sunday evening I went to my first class at the kung fu school. As I later told One Ring, it was completely unlike any martial arts class I have ever taken - which is either really, really good or really, really bad! I just can't tell which yet. We didn't warm up, drill punches and kicks, and the attitude seemed really laid back. Our chief exercise last night was tossing around a wooden Jian (tai chi sword) so that it remained upright (point to the sky) and not spinning around. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Anyway, after standing in a circle and throwing the sword (I got conked on the head once), the instructor then showed what we were doing with a very brief practical application, of sorts. Again, I'm not sure how practical it was as the demonstration was very brief and we didn't practice it.

I did enjoy myself, which is something, I guess. And I figure that it's too early to tell whether or not this is a good school. So I'm going back for the Friday class and then the Sunday class, and make my decision after that. I have to say, though, that it's free, it's close by (25 minutes or so), and it's better than sitting on my butt playing video games or watching television. So I may stick with it just based on those criteria!

Okay. Lunch time. More later.

No comments: