Tuesday, April 15, 2008

End of the Day Stuff

Well, thus far I have heard from two of the three kung fu schools that I emailed yesterday. One is housed at a YMCA about 20 minutes from my house, the other has its own building about 30 minutes away. The first seemed to state that it was a non-profit, asked only $45 a year to pay for the space it borrowed from the Y, and that I provide any equipment I needed for training. The second said in a one line email, "Please call xxx-xxxx so we can set up a time to meet and so you can take a free lesson." I've heard that line before. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the Pa Kua instructor yet, and am beginning to have my doubts as to whether or not he is still teaching. Of course, if I were him, I would ask that the head office remove my number should I desire to stop teaching, but that's just me.

That was the highlight of my day.

The rest of the day was basicaly spent running to meetings and putting out various fires around the campus. Nothing major - we had a death in hospice and I responded to meet with the family, paperwork to catch up on, patients to meet and treatment team meetings to attend. Spent a little bit of time kvetching with Whirling Dervish about the state of the application process and the latest news from the head office regarding the positions being offered (don't ask). Basically I'm glad that it's almost 4 and I'm leaving in 15.

It's occurred to me that I haven't seen a kung fu flick in ages (and The Forbidden Kingdom opens this week!). I think part of the reason for that was the feeling that I would never again work on it and there were feelings of loss involved. Might have to take a gander at the DVD collection and see what I have. I also have a Horatio Hornblower DVD out from Netflix that I need to watch and send back. I honestly think I can rate that character has having the most unfortunate name in historical fiction, if not all of literature!

I'm presenting a case tomorrow on a patient who claims to have seen his dead sister come into his room and sit at the end of his bed. He referred to his experience as a "nightmare," but then said that it wasn't frightening - he meant that it just seemed so real. What was really interesting wasn't that the patient was okay with his sister's turning up in his hospital room - he's in the dying process in the hospice ward so there are any number of reasons for his seeing her, including that she really did show up! Rather, it was the staff of that floor who seemed the most disturbed by his story. I guess that just goes to show that if you hit someone with information that is completely outside their world view, all kinds of heck breaks loose.

Honestly, though, I was more than a little intrigued by this case, as well. Although - and I've said this time and time again - I don't believe in ghosts and spirits, I am interested in the meanings behind events such as these. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the patient, a doctor and psychologist had already decended upon him and he wasn't that eager to talk about it any more. He seemed pretty calm about the whole thing, which is probably just what he needs.

Okay, day is done, and so am I. More on developments as they become available.

No comments: