Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday, Monday.

And it's COLD! We're only supposed to get up to 49 degrees today, with a low in the upper 30's tonight. Looks like spring and summer have come, gone, and we're now in fall. Weird weather.

This weekend was rather uneventful for us in casa de pirate. One Ring worked on her reading and papers, and I did some house chores. We did see a documentary called The King of Kong, which was all about the drive of two men to be the best at Donkey Kong (no, I'm not kidding!). One guy was a complete jerk, and the other guy was a rather pleasant dude with a wife, kids, job, and, apparently, OCD. His family said that was what made it possible for him to sit at a video game for hours on end perfecting his technique. I'd call it a cry for help, but who am I to judge? Guess everyone needs a hobby. Although I confess that I was caught up in memories of the "old school" games that I played in arcades, so much so that I went out and bought a copy of Neo Geo Colliseum 2. I thought it was the old arcade games made by Neo Geo, but actually it's a 2-D fighter with characters from those games. As such, it's more like the Street Fighter series than anything else. Still, I've been having fun at it, and at $15, it's been a nice diversion.

Speaking of hobbies, I'm feeling the sort of wanderlust that I feel when I'm not doing something healthy or creative. Though no fault of anything or anyone else, life's been feeling stagnant for me lately. So yesterday and today I've been working things over in my brain, trying to figure out how to do something new at minimal costs. One Ring was wonderful when I mentioned my thoughts to her, saying that she was willing to make sacrifices so that I could get back into the martial arts again or do something else.

So today I'm going to make a few phone calls and see what I can find in the areas. I've alerady searched the 'net. Unfortunately, outside of one karate school down the road, most everything is about a 30 miles or more away. Not too bad, but with traffic the way it is here, that might as well be on the other side of the moon. But we'll see.

More on this as it develops.



No comments: