Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's Tuesday, So There's Little to Cheer About

Not a fan of Tuesdays. Day rolls slowly along, and the weekend's too far away to anticipate. So I'm sort of in a blah, plodding through the day kind of mood.

It doesn't help that it seems like I'm being constantly barraged with new duties and responsibilities. I've got 5 patients to look over now and a sixth on the way. Considering that I've only been doing this for two weeks or so, this feels rather overwhelming. By the time vacation comes around (in a month and a half!), I'll be more than ready for it.

I watched some of the DNC last night. I was really impressed by Michelle Obama's speech, and thought that the two daughters fighting over the microphone was the most adorable thing I've seen in a long time. Plus it was probably the only unscripted part of the event, which made it pretty much perfect. I know I'm cynical, but when I hear a speech, then watch as the camera zooms in on a delegate who has tears in her eyes, I wonder if that person would feel the same way if she knew that everything that happens there, everything that is said, is carefully choreographed to produce emotional responses. Yeah, I can be a jerk about stuff like that. And as One Ring constantly says, "Could you please just leave a tender moment alone?"

In other news, I'm taking a very quick trip home to Virginia Beach on Friday of next week. Just a weekend jaunt to see my mother and family. I haven't seen them since March, I think, and what with my mother's health scare a few weeks back, I felt that I really needed to go. I couldn't get any decent (as in: cheap) flights for this weekend, so I have to take a half day off on Friday. No major loss, but a slight dip in pay.

One of my side missions, along with trying to see Boo, Pooh, and Tigger, is to head out with Sharkbait and get some pirate-y decorations for my office. It's rather sparse here. Only thing that's even remotely interesting is a sign I put up that has "Calico" Jack Rackham's flag (the one at the top of this blog), and the words "The beatings will continue until morale improves." I gave all my pirate ships from the card game that I used to play (no one here to play with, and I was playing the online version, anyway) to Whirling Dervish's boys, so I don't even have The Black Pearl to sit on my desk. Sob! Sharkbait said that he'd try to set me up with one, though. We'll see.

Okay, lunch is over, which means that as of right now, there's 3 hours, 40 minutes left in the day. Now I just have to make sure all my ducks are in a row regarding my work, do some extra studying, and hopefully the day will go quickly.

No comments: