Monday, August 25, 2008

Caffeine IV. STAT!

Caffeine has really taken over my life. So much so that when I hear of religions that ban its use - such as Mormonism - I just laugh. In fact, I once used that reason as a way of getting some missionaries to move along. "I'm sorry guys, but your faith doesn't allow me what I need to make it through the morning! Now get the heck off my porch!"

Ever since Kona had her puppies, I've been spending most nights on the couch. This is by choice, mind you, and not because One Ring is angry at me! But when you're 5'11" and there is only about 5' of sleeping space, healthy rest is not always in the cards. Not without a background in yoga, anyway.

So I'm tired this morning, drinking my second cup of the day while trying to figure out just who I am, what I need to do to make it through the day, and how I'm goign to keep my sanity. Not an easy thing to attempt, which is why I would like to see caffeine IVs offered to all employees. Or maybe a patch, for those (like me) who aren't too keen on needles. I told this to a nurse with whom I used to work, only to have her look at me as if I had sprouted an extra head. But soon after, on really rough days, we would pass in the hallway and I'd call out in my best ER voice, "Caffeine IV. Full bore. STAT!" It would get a few laughs, and sometimes a free cup of coffee from the closely guarded nurse coffee pot.

Now that I work mostly with retired military folk, the coffee pot is a little scarier. Depending on who made it, it's somewhere between the consistency of water and the Labrea Tar Pits. There's a coffee shop a short walk from here that the VA maintains, but, again, depending on who is manning the machines, the quality is variable. A few of my coworkers have asked me to bring in my espresso machine so that they can get free lattes, but I'd rather not do all that work. If I win the lottery or something I'd buy one for the office, but until that happens, I'm not going back to my barrista ways.

Speaking of which, One Ring and I went back to the evil bookstore where I used to work. As usual, there were only one or two employees that I remember from my time there - now two years into the past. It was an interesting experience, in that I realized just how far I've come, and how much my life has improved over the last few years. I told One Ring that I am finally starting to calm down and de-stress now that I have a job that can become a career. Not having to wonder what's going to happen when a year-long residency ends is a huge relief. And after two of them, plus a few years filled with part time jobs that I knew weren't going to last long, I'm really grateful to just rest where I am.

Okay, I really got to get to work. I'll write more later. Promise.

No comments: