Friday, July 11, 2008

Expensive Hobby!

Well, One Ring just informed me that my not so clever attempt to hint at a potential birthday present fell through (it would have burned through her budget). So I decided to take my lunch break and price how much it would take to build a "working" (lights but no sound) lightsaber. Let's just say I'm going to have to save my pennies!

Here's the breakdown:

PVC pipe (easier to work with than steel), either 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" - $4.43

PVC 45 degree bend 1 1/2" (for a Count Dooku style saber) - optional - $3.12

Fasade copper covering (stick on for cosmetic purposes) - $10.14

Chrome spray paint to hide the fact that it's PVC - $unknown but not that much


1 1/2" adapter to blade holder rig - $8.50
w/ screw-on led blade holder with LED heat sink - $24.25
or
1 1/4" adapter w/ bladeholder and heat sink - $20.49

Luxeon K2 Electronics kit (battery pack, LED light, wiring, switch, etc.) - $19.21

1" x 40" standard blade - $30.49
or
1" x 40" "Corbin" blade (looks cooler and brighter) - $33.99

Soldering iron kit - $7.99

For a grand total (not including S&H or screw-ups on my part during the construction process!) of approximatly: $92.75 - $111.63!

Yeah. I don't think this will be happening anytime soon! : (
Okay, back to work.

No comments: