Wednesday, April 1, 2009

More Updates, Including a New Job (Possibly)

My interview took place yesterday, much to my surprise. I walked into the morning meeting, and heard my boss say, "Well, I (and a bunch of other colleagues) will be unavailable today as we're doing interviews for the AT positions." She later caught me in the hall and said, "You're today, as well."

I B.S.'d my way through it, and was nervous as all get out until I heard how the other interviews were going. My office is right across the hall from the conference room where the phone interviews were taking place. Since the speaker phone was turned up to 11 (much to my annoyance), I heard some of the other candidates. Not good.

Today my boss came into my office as I was looking busy (more on that later), and said, "I can't officially tell you anything, since HR has to mail you a letter, but you're on my list to get hired." Woohoo!

Now I just have to wait until HR wakes the **** up and gets their act together.

Meanwhile, you're favorite government employed pirate ex-chaplain (I do think I'm the only member of that demographic) has been busy trying to find what is going on with the makers of the most awesome Pirate board game ever. Wizkids was sold by Topps back in 2008, and supposedly all product lines were stopped. But apparently there's still stuff coming out. So, even though the government blocks all searches for websites that involve games, I've been trying to figure out if the game is going to continue, or if it's gone the way of many of my other favorite games.

I found this earlier today, which was referenced from the Wizkids site:

On November 10, 2008, Topps announced [1] the closure of Wizkids. How this will affect the game is not immediately known, as they are 'evaluating the viability' of Wizkids product lines at this time.

Wikipedia had this in its entry on Wizkids:
The Topps Company announced on Monday, Nov. 10th 2008 that it would be closing down WizKids and discontinuing product lines including HeroClix. Topps CEO Scott Silverstein commented "This was an extremely difficult decision. But in light of the current economic conditions, we feel it is necessary to align our gaming initiatives more closely with Topps current sports and entertainment offerings which are already being developed within our New York office."


In the statement announcing the close of WizKids, Topps also indicated that it was pursuing alternatives to discontinuing brands so that brands such as HeroClix could continue on without any noticeable disruption in future product offerings.

There are rumors of other companies looking at purchasing Wizkids or the Pirates Constructable Strategy Game Line, but so far I can't find anything about it.

Oh, well. 3 1/2 hours to go. The boss and the doctor I work with are both off doing something, and I've followed through with all my assignments, so there's nothing at the moment that needs worrying about. So I'm going to play some more before looking for things to do.

Enjoy the day.

No comments: