Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Meme

According to Wikipedia, "A meme (pronounced /miːm/)[1] is any thought or behavior that can be passed from one person to another by learning or imitation. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, gestures, practices, fashions, habits, songs and dances. Memes propagate themselves and can move through the cultural sociosphere in a manner similar to the contagious behavior of a virus."

In other words, it's a series of random bits of information that one person posts on a blog or website, then a bunch of other people post similar stuff in the same way the people pass colds around.

I bring all of this up because I came across a meme a few minutes ago and figured that I'd continue my slow morning with my own answers. I figure that it's been a while since I offered any information about myself beyond what my day to day life is like. So here we go. This one's called the "ABC Meme."

accent: I was born outside of Boston, but lost the accent when my family moved to Virginia Beach when I was 7. So my relatives up north think I have a southern accent, and people down south think I don't have an accent at all.

booze: Rum, it's what pirates crave!

chore I hate: mowing the lawn. In fact, I hate any outdoor chore. Pave the world, I say. Zen rock gardens are the way to go.

dogs/cats: Despite the fact that I now have ten dogs in my house, counting the eight puppies that Kona had two weeks ago, I am still a dog person.

essential electronics: computer with Internet connection.

favorite perfume/cologne: Hate the stuff. Allergies, you know.

gold/silver: gold coins all the way!

hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia

insomnia: yes, all my adult life.

job title: Addiction Therapist or Readjustment Counselor, depending on who you ask.

kids: None. See previous posts for a discussion of this.

living arrangements: living with the wife and dogs in a wonderful house.

most admired trait: In others? Humility and serenity, I suppose. Those are things that I aspire to reach myself.

number of significant relationships: Never kiss and tell.

overnight hospital stays: As a patient? Never. As a chaplain? Too many to count.

phobia: falling from high places. Or, more accurately, "Sudden Deceleration Trauma."

quotes: I have too many that I love to list them here.

religion: I am an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ. I also have an ongoing interest in Buddhist meditation and philosophy, and attend meditation sessions on an irregular basis.

siblings: One sister, 34, who is the mother of my niece and nephew. I also have a brother, Sharkbait, who is 28. We get together to sink ships and pillage small towns every so often.

time I usually wake up: as late as possible, but lately it's been at 5:45. Sadly.

unusual talent: I have the creepy and irritating ability to guess what a present is before I open it. This has driven friends and family alike to the point of apoplexy on occasion.

vegetables I refuse to eat: cauliflower

worst habit: giving up too easily. Or maybe Kroger rage.

x-rays: Nothing broken yet, but I've had a few. MRIs and CAT scans, too.

yummy foods I make: One Ring does most of the cooking around the house, but I can make a few dishes. I'd cook more if I had to, but for now I'm pretty good at making reservations.

zodiac sign: According the the western system, I'm a Leo. I don't believe in that sort of thing, so it doesn't matter much to me. According to the Chinese system, I was born in the year of the Dog - Iron Dog, to be precise, although that gives rise to odd renditions of a certain Black Sabbath song. I don't believe in that, either, so I haven't read up on it.

No comments: