Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ugh and Other Updates

Ugh. It's a nice word. Has a lot of theological connotations, too. In fact, I can use it as a response to just about any situation. Bad news? Ugh. More (and unexpected) work? Ugh. Having to write an article that's due next week with such proficiency that it will be of publishable quality? Ugh and ugh again.

Today I had time to take my first real look at that assignment. Mind you, I've known about it for months - I've just been too focused on applying for the permanent position to care much. But now the deadline is looming, and somehow I have to make my rouch sketch of a topic bloom into an object d'art. Fun, fun. The good news is that the articles size is limited to two pages. So far I'm thinking of talking about my spiritual assessment methods when working with older (65 years and up) patients in the substance abuse program. We'll see how it goes.

In other news, I still have my chest cold. I tell people it's Tuberculosis.

I finished version 2.0 of my mala bracelet, and this time there was success! Behold the beauty of my craftsmanship!

I used the leftover beads from attempt #1, and added the miniature seashells. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the cord I purchased, and had to settle for leftover embroidery thread from my cross stitching days. Which basically means that the structure of the mala is a tad weaker than the old one. But it fits!

I also picked up a miniature pre-made tassel from the home decor section (a part of the craft store where I REALLY feel out of place!) and attached it to the bottom area. I'm not sure what they represent on the "real" malas, but they're there, and I wanted one, so there you go.So this was my excursion into crafts this past week. Quick and painless enough to keep my ADD - addled attention, yet long enough to be a good meditative process. And, even better, it serves a function as a meditative tool. As I mentioned when I made the first mala, they work about the same as a Catholic Rosary, in that prayers or mantras may be said for every bead. I included the shells for a couple of reasons. One, they remind me of the whelk shells that wash up on the shore of my hometown. And two, there are three of them, which can represent either the trinity in Christian thought, or the Buddha, Dharma (teachings), and Sangha (community of faith) in Buddhist thought.

Well, I'd love to write more, but my boss is here in the office with me, and I need to actually get off my butt and go visit some patients. Sigh! It's hard to work when the life has been sucked out of you by a long series of meetings!

Peace.

No comments: