Monday, May 19, 2008

So What Do You Do When You Meet The Anti-Christ . . .

. . . and he turns out to be your patient?

So here's the deal. I was doing one of those pesky spiritual assessments earlier today. I figured that it would go just like the other thousands that I have done since coming on board here. Three questions, thanks for coming, make an appointment for follow up if nececssary or desired. That's it.

Not this time.

This guy is just radiating anger. No, not anger. Rage. He doesn't even give me a chance to ask a question. He just starts off by telling me what a great Christian he is and how God's going to get him through his situation. I've heard that before, so I make a note and keep going. Then he gets to the world around him. And he just goes off.

Over the next 40 minutes (He took me into overtime!) this guy attacks African-Americans, women, the gay community, his mother, his ex, his father, his fellow patients, the doctors, and pretty much everyone else he met over the course of his forty year life span. Honestly, I have never met someone filled with that much hatred. Throw a hood and a robe on him, and he would have been right at home at the local Klan rally.

So I challenged him. You're Christian, so what about Christ's commandment to love your neighbor? "They're not my neighbors!" he spat back.

Your enemies, then, I respond. "I'm not fighting them!"

You're supposed to love everyone, I say, getting up in his face. EVERYONE. No exceptions. How does that make you feel?

"I need to pray," he said.

Score one for the good guys. I thought. But God forgive me, I really just wanted to beat the guy to a pulp. I mean, this guy was attacking my family! He didn't know that he was going after my people, but I don't think that knowledge would have made much of a difference. And then he was saying that he wanted to settle down and start a family of his own! Sorry, chum, but I really don't want you spreading that kind of hatred by way of the gene pool.

Guess I need to pray, too.

I'm going home. I'm on empty.

Peace.

No comments: