Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Daylight Come and I Want to Go Home!

I just got done conducting a "Blessing of the Hands" service. Never heard of it? Well, neither had I until three or so days ago. Basically it's designed to ask for the hands of health care providers to be blessed so that they are better able to serve the patients and community. I think it went pretty well, if I do say so myself. I did manage to burn my finger while trying to light a candle, though. Fortunately, there were plenty of nurses on hand!

I have about fifteen minutes until I can make a run for my car and leave here. I'm totally exhausted. I think I've finally gotten over my chest cold, but energy wise I'm drained. I feel like all I've done all day is walk and walk and walk around this hospital. I know it's good for me, but I need some energy. I'm teaching this week's section on Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth at my church tonight (The section on "Love and the Goddess," in case you're interested). I don't think they'd appreciate it if I fell asleep during the DVD portion of the exercise!

I'd bore you to tears by giving a lengthy essay on what Campbell says about the topic, but I'm too beat. Go buy the book. It's well worth every penny. If you're used to thinking about religion in concrete terms (as in, you believe in a literal / historical virgin birth, resurrection, and so forth) you'll be seriously challenged by the text. I know I was, and it sent me into a spiral when I first read it while in college. But today it's one of my favorite books, and reading it has helped me to appreciate not only my own faith journey, but the journeys and beliefs of others as well. So buy it, read it, and let me know what you think. Deal?

I'm going home. Peace.

No comments: