Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Need a Dog Like This!

"Comfortably Numb" is turning out to be a tad more difficult than I imagined, but it's still a very enjoyable learning experience. Drink Man is telling me I need to learn several songs simultaneously so I do not become bored. Must be the A.D.D. approach to music. I don't know about that, but he did call me last night and tried to teach me a few songs over the phone. Very weird, and extremely ineffective. Oh, well. He's recently purchased two guitars, and they should be delivered today. One's a Kramer, modeled on the '80s hair band preferences. The other one's a new model by Ibanez, and looks awesome (at least the pictures I've seen look awesome). Hopefully he'll bring them tomorrow.

As for me, I've promised myself that when I master "Comfortably Numb" and know it backwards and forwards - including the two solos, the second one I consider to be one of the greatest guitar solos of all time - I'll purchase the Fender Fat Strat that has recently caused me to drool. The owner of the music shop where I take my lessons has tried to convince me to buy one of the new Schecter models he's getting in (an Omen Extreme, in case you're curious) he's getting in stock. But my point is: I already have a guitar with two humbuckers, and a good one at that. Why would I want to drop $400+ on another one? If I do buy another guitar, it's going to be one that produces a completely different sound; one that can be used for different styles of music other than distortion laden metal (not that there's anything wrong with distortion laden metal! I love it!). I asked him if Schecters could do that, and he said, "Well, er, uhm, uhhhh, no. Not as such." So there you go.

Fortunately, with the financial situation that One Ring and I have found ourselves in, Drink Man did not follow through with his plan to buy a Fat Strat wholesale and then pass it on to me. It was one of those "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy" kind of things. Good deal, but there was no way I could come up with the money no matter how much it was. So I'm glad that fell through. Plus I can use the goal of getting the Fender as motivation to learn the song.

Okay, time to go back to working with patients. : (

No comments: