Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Good Idea Goes Bad

First off, a position statement: I am for the legalization of Cannabis for medical use.

Now, having said that, let me clarify. Marijuana does have its good points, and I have seen those in action - reducing nausea, improving appetite, and easing pain - in cancer and terminally ill patients. However, there are other - legal - medications that are work just as well for people who are not in such extreme situations. I'm pretty sure that these individuals do not need to have legalized marijuana.

This is on my mind today because of what's going on in California with the whole legalization movement. Apparently you can fix whatever ails you with, not a prescription, but simply a recommendation from any doctor shady enough to give it. As this article shows, there are now parts of LA where Marijuana clinics outnumber McDonald's and Starbucks by 2 to 1.

Pot-Friendly California: Amsterdam In America?

Houston, we have a problem.

No comments: