Wednesday, June 3, 2009

2 and 1/2 Hours

Not that I'm counting or anything, but that's how long I have until I can clock out for the day. The morning started off somewhat busy, but then things ground to an abrupt halt. Even Annoying Coworker has stayed away (knocking furiously on wood as I type).

So that leaves me to find things to do to kill the time. Unfortunately, there isn't much that helps. The hospital has blocked traditional time wasters such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, so that's out. I've done some online shopping (no, I haven't purchased anything, but I did find a Fender Stratocaster that looked sweet!) but that got old after a while. So did the googling of people with whom I have lost touch. Then there was the sending of funny pics and LOL Dogs, but you can only do that too many times before coworkers who are actually working get irritated. So now what? Blogging, I guess.

Last night, in lieu of my nightly guitar practice, I started writing letters to my niece and nephew for our Disney World trip next month. The plan is that each evening, the kids will get a letter from one of the Disney characters - usually Mickey or Cinderella - telling them what's going to happen the next day. On the last day they'll get a "thanks for coming; hope to see you soon" card. One Ring read about doing this in one of her Disney forums, so we took the idea and ran with it. I found Disney-esque fonts to type up the letters. The rough drafts look pretty good, if I do say so myself!

I'm focusing on vacation stuff for a couple of reasons. The first is because this is the children's first trip to Disney World and we want to make it as incredible as possible. My sister hasn't been since she was a teen (I think), so we're trying to wow her as well.

The other reason is that there's a ton of dysfunction here at work. I can't get too specific on what's going on, for obvious reasons, but suffice to say that we have one patient who needs to have a mental health eval. One of the other therapists suggested that we could save everyone grief by discharging him to the Salvation Army shelter instead of doing more legwork. Needless to say, I was one of a few who was outspoken against his idea. But the debate went on long enough to really irritate me and put a damper on the day.

So, there's something like 45 days left until our trip, and I'm really looking forward to the break. One Ring is getting stressed, as her comprehensive exams are taking place in August. I don't know how she's going to study, then go to Disney World, then actually come back to sit for a 3-day exam. Lord knows I would be having second thoughts! But then, she's always been the more dedicated of the two of us.


Soon. Very, very, soon!


Well, that's all from here. There's a patient coming in about ten minutes and I need to catch the doctor before that happens.


No comments: