Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And Life Returns to Normal (Kinda Sorta)

I'm back at work; Annoying Coworker is back at work. The Doctor is back at work, and the patients are, sadly, back at work. My anniversary mini-vacation getaway is over, and I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things on day two of my readjustment period.

I'm listening now to the Doctor beat up a prospective patient. I can't really tell if she's angry at him, but given her nationality, her tone often comes across as highly aggressive. So sometimes I have to go behind her and translate for the patient - not linguistically, of course - but rather put her statements in a more neutral tone. Makes life interesting around here.

And it makes me wish I was back on vacation.

One Ring and I had a great time in Chattanooga. The B&B was wonderful, as it sits in the scenic Bluff View Art District. Our room was right above the Back Inn Cafe, where we had one of our meals - delicious! While there we spent a day at the Tennessee Aquarium, checked out the local art scene and independent bookstores, and made many visits to the coffee shop that was located way too close for us to curb our caffeine addiction!

On the way back, we met up with Whirling Dervish and his family at the Tennessee Renaissance Festival. I came away with mixed feelings. On the one hand, it was enjoyable to walk around and see the people who dressed up in various period outfits, not always historically accurate (there were quite a few people dressed as their favorite fantasy characters from Japanese animation or video grames). On the other hand, what was billed as "Pirate Weekend" had very little in the way of pirates. Sure there were some people dressed as pirates (always captains, never crew, and usually resembling Jack Sparrow), but there was very little else to suggest that this was the special event that it was billed as. Now if the pirates could interact with the Queen, or perhaps have a mock pillaging (or a real one, heck, I wouldn't complain!) of the vendor tents, that would have been nice. Alas, aside from one act on one stage stuck off to one side, there was little going on for pirate weekend.

Still, it was nice to see Whirling Dervish and his family. Hopefully we'll get back together with them soon.

Had my guitar lesson last night, and once again, Sarah McLachlan's music is proving to be much harder to pin down than I had originally thought. This time we worked on the solo portion of "Building a Mystery," as well as my trying to figure out the chord progression underneath layers and layers of guitar overlays. She's a creative genious, that's for sure. Hopefully I'll become proficient in it soon, but for now, jumping from a B minor chord to a G is slowing me down.

Okay, we have groups coming in a little bit. Time for me to catch up on paper work and get ready.

Sigh. I need another vacation!

No comments: