Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quick Post Before Lunch

Crazy morning today. As in literally insane. Patient came in to see if he could get into the program and was unfortunately in a bad mental state. The coffee and cola he was chugging didn't help him either. Good news is that we got him calmed down and he's okay. Bad news is that I'm exhausted.

Oh, well, only 2 1/2 hours left in the day. Which I don't feel bad saying, since one of the head honchos mentioned that there were 7 1/2 hours left first thing this morning! The work is mostly done, and I'm finally in a good mood - for reasons that will become apparent in a moment.

But first ... updates!

First up, for those of you who are concerned about such things, today was the anniversary of the 1959 uprising in Tibet that resulted in the Chinese crackdown that in turn sent the Dalai Lama into exile. Last year there were demonstrations that turned violent. It is no surprise, therefore, that China has really turned up the heat in Lhasa, the Tibetan Capital, banning foreign tourists and journalists from most areas. Word is that there will also be "service disruptions" to cell communications, probably because last time protesters were able to send updates to the outside world via cell communications. This time, not so much. Here's a link to an AP article which pretty much says what I just summed up.

Next, I have good news and bad news regarding my quest for permanent employment. My boss just told me that I'm on the short list for interviews, and will possibly be selected for one of four position. So that's a huge relief. The bad news, aside from my paranoia that I will be disappointed yet again by a system that is as near to perfect at disappointing as any I've ever seen, is that I won't be on this campus. So Drink Man (should he decide to stay here) and the rest will have to make due without me. Plus some of the folks at the other campus can be difficult ... But I'll be ecstatic just to have something that doesn't come with an impending cut off date hanging over my head!

Oh, found the diagram for the dragonfly model. You can find it here.

Okay, I have a couple more things to do, then it's homeward bound. One Ring and I are heading out tonight for a lecture by one of her professors. It's on religious dialogue and a new view of the ultimate reality (in other words, God) based on information from a variety of religious viewpoints. Should be interesting. We're supposed to get thunderstorms tonight, though, and I'm concerned about the dogs being home alone. So we'll see if I stay home or not.

That's it for today, being that it's taken me about 6 hours to write this! More tomorrow.

No comments: