Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What's Wrong with the World ...

... or, "The main thing that really irk me as we attempt to adopt out a bunch of puppies!"

At the risk of sounding like a 9,000 year old man, I'm going to begin this entry with the words, "When I was growing up ..." It's a cliche, I know, and immediately half the people reading this are probably thinking, "Nah, he has nothing worth reading today!" But hang on a sec, because I've got to rant to someone!

I'm talking today about the distinct lack of follow through that seems to be epidemic in our society. This weekend we had several people express interest in the puppies, some to the point where they came to our house and visited the dogs. One woman filled out an adoption form, and had the money ready to adopt our dog. And I've lost count of the number of people who have said, "Oh, yeah. This is the dog I want! Let me get home and fill out the paperwork and I'll get it right back to you!"

To date, not one of those people have adopted a dog. Several (including the woman who filled out the form and the couple who came to our house) have emailed us to say, "No thanks," and offer up some reason or excuse for backing out. But even more numerous are the people who simply drop off the face of the earth and are never heard from again.

Whatever happened to follow through? Whatever happened to keeping your word? If you say you're going to do something, do it! If you're not sure you can pull it off or make it happen, say so! Don't say one thing and then think that you don't even have to notify the office if you can't produce.

As all of this drama and frustration are going on, One Ring and I are still in the possession of seven wonderful, playful puppies. Two were transferred to another foster home this weekend, but still need to be adopted out. One Ring's parents are keeping two while we're on vacation, and two more are going to the foster coordinator on Thursday (just for our vacation). That leaves one. Hopefully One Ring's brother can help us out. If not we're going to have to kennel the puppy, and that can get rather pricey.

All things being equal, it could always be worse, but I still wish people would flippin' keep their word!

No comments: