Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Down to 3 Puppies!

One Ring's parents rolled into town last night and picked up Kona and two of the puppies. They'll be watching that bunch while we're on vacation. So that leaves only 3 more pups. Two will be going to a temporary foster home, and One Ring's brother hopefully will be well enough to watch the third. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But then, I haven't had much time to think about the home situation today. Work has been completely off the hook.

There seems to be cyclical patterns at work here in addiction medicine. For a while we'll have a group of patients who are very interested in their recovery and improving their lives. Then we'll run into a batch whose main concern seemed to be addressing every possible need - from staying out of jail to getting a free place to sleep for a month - other than sobriety. Sifting through the deceptions and manipulations to find the truth often takes more time than I can spare. No wonder I have no desire to watch the debate tonight - I don't want to end up doing the same thing I've done all day!

We've opened up new beds in my department, and that means new patients to get oriented. Some are more able than others, so there's been a lot of hand holding, so to speak. I don't mind that, assuming that my suspicions of the aforementioned problem have not been raised. But even so, I'm required to do the work no matter whether or not the patient is being completely truthful. Sometimes it just seems easier to assume that everyone is there for the right reason and keep rolling.

An hour and a half. That's all that's left. Then one more day of work before Disney World! I haven't been this excited about a trip in a long time. Guess that just shows how stressful the past year has been.

Well, there's more that could be said about that, but I'm still up to my eyeballs in paperwork and I'm not sure that all of my patients have completed all their tasks. At least one, I know, still has stuff to do. So I need to put out the bear traps in case he tries to sneak by my office door. If it's one thing I hate, it's having to track people down!

No comments: