Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

It seems (and how many times did my creative writing professor in college tell me never to start anything with the word "It!") that title is on the minds of quite a few people around here. One of my colleagues who gave me a ton of help when I first started in addiction medicine has decided to take a job down in Florida. And now this morning Drink Man informed me that he is indeed leaving here for better pastures (probably Charleston, SC). Of course, he's made this statement and recanted several times, which is why his ring tone on my phone is the aforementioned song by The Clash.

So today, after sitting through the chaos that is interdepartmental squabbling and dealing with patients who try my patience, I am having a conversation with the head chaplain here regarding my applying for an opening in their department. Not sure if that's the best path for me in the long term, but I do know that it's always good to have a plan B. I also don't trust the powers that be to give me a fair chance at the therapist job, so maybe I'll do better here.

So that meeting is taking place in about 40 minutes. I'll post the results when I get the chance. In other news, I had a good guitar lesson last night. I need to have some work done on my electric, though, but I kinda figured it was coming. Nothing major, just need to have it "set up" as those in the know say - I don't say it, only "those in the know" are allowed to say it, and apparently I'm not in the know, so I don't say it. Unfortunately, the place where I take my lessons ships the guitar off to have the set ups done, and it could take a week or more to do. So now I'm shopping around for other places to get the work done. More on that later.

The good news is that I'm making progress on "Don't Come Around Here No More" and barre chords. Even better, I gave my instructor a CD that had songs that I would like to learn. Among them are "Building a Mystery" by Sarah McLachlan, "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure, and "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent (just in case you were thinking I was growing soft in my old age!). I still have to work on my current project, but knowing where I am going is nice.

Okay, I'm going to pretend to work now. 30 minutes until my meeting, and I need to get some stuff done.

Peace.

No comments: