Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good Times, Bad Times

First, the good times. One Ring and I went to see Coraline yesterday. It was darkly comic and occasionally creepy. I loved it. Also had my guitar lesson last night, and though I still think all barre chords are inherently evil, I'm getting closer to being able to play "Don't Come Around Here No More" By Tom Petty.

Hmmm, I'm going to have to muse a bit on why I chose to learn that song. At first I thought it was because of the cool sitar opening lick. Now I'm beginning to think it's because I'm rapidly becoming anti-social!

I could go on and on about the bad times, as I had to work on Saturday and ended up getting played by the patients (addicts - even those in recovery - are notoriously manipulative). I could also go on about how I am consuming vast quantities of Valentine's Day M&Ms (Thanks, Mom-in-Law!) in order to keep from harming those same patients today. Chocolate - keeping murder rates low since the Aztec Empire!

The application process has slowed down dramatically. I'm hoping for an extended bit of quiet time today so I can get another section completed. I'm on section 3 out of 4, but I have this feeling that I really need to beef up the parts I've already written. It's funny. I printed out a job description for the position. Out of 8 pages, only 3 dealt with patient care. The rest had to do with record keeping, office work, and playing nice with others! Kinda shows where their priorities are.

Still, getting this job, whether it's a dream job or not (and right now it's not, but that's okay), is pretty much the only shot I have for keeping One Ring and me stable while she finishes up her work. Tennessee was ranked 13th on a list of 15 worst states in which to look for a job. So when my boss tells me that if I don't get this job, I'm pretty much done, it doesn't make me feel too good. She wants me to get it, by the way (and thinks that I'm qualified), it's just that because I'm a civilian that the odds are against me.

Dang it. Lunch break is over. Now I have to get ready for the chaos that is to come when this afternoon's clinic opens.

More later.

No comments: