Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Primal Scream Time

Friday was the start of a three day weekend. On top of that, I was getting a bunch of overtime money for coming in on Saturday for a really slack work detail. I should have been happy; I should have been celebrating that finally One Ring and I were starting to turn things around financially. On top of everything, the guitar I ordered was due to arrive over the holiday weekend. And I won't even get into the ecstasy that One Ring and I are feeling with Obama finally taking over.

Then, to use a cliche, all hell broke loose.

On Friday there was a snafu (to put it mildly) with payroll. Short version: I'm not seeing my paycheck for another two weeks. I could elaborate, but my blood pressure is high enough as it is, and my coworkers are tiring of my outbursts. Suffice to say that there are a number of individuals to whom I would like to say, "You're alive. Consider that a miracle."

I was told to have an application in on Tuesday for a position that was all but promised to me. This promise was retracted, my boss didn't like the look of my paperwork and wants me to redo it, but she's out today and so can't tell me what she wants. She's trying to help, of course, and for that I'm grateful, but it's just one more thing.

And,to add insult to injury (another cliche, I know. Every English teacher I've ever had are now shaking their heads sadly!) our television is dying and the clutch on the doom buggy is broken. So my car is being examined as we speak and I am trying not to think about how much all of this is going to cost to fix and / or replace.

In other, perhaps ironic news, when I took the new guitar to my lesson on Monday, the instructor said that he was impressed with my choice. He then told me that the guitar was the same type used by Angus Young of AC/DC, and that he (my instructor) used to play in an AC/DC cover band that toured all over the country. So he threw out the scheduled lesson and taught me Highway to Hell instead.

I suppose more than a few people I know would find that choice ironic, given the recent events of my life and my career choices!

So that's what's going on. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay sane, and get some work done today.

Pray for me. I'm seriously beginning to think that Sartre was right.

No comments: