Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Pirate Bliss!

I was informed recently that the nautical museum Nauticus in Norfolk, Virginia is having a pirate exhibit while One Ring and I will be in Virginia Beach for the Christmas holiday. As I was doing the happy dance (a sight not to be missed), further research revealed that the traveling exhibit is of the Whydah - the same exhibit that I've been trying to see for quite some time. Why the Whydah (sorry, couldn't resist)? Well, for one, it is the only pirate shipwreck every recovered. She went down off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts in 1717. And since I was born in Massachusetts, I feel somewhat close to this particular ship and her captain, Sam Bellamy. His story is quite unique among the Brethren of the Coast - he fell in love with an upper class woman, and, unable to prove his "worth" to her family via wealth, took up piracy until he could raise the money. Once he had the sum needed, he quit the trade (very un-piratical) and tried to get back to Cape Cod. Unfortunately, his ship was caught in a storm - possibly a hurricane - and sank with all hands. So, in a way, it's a Romeo and Juliet kind of story.

Well, I need to get back to work. I just figured I'd post a quick note detailing one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to my vacation!

No comments: